The Stamford and Northwestern Railway Company was chartered in January 1909 to build from Stamford to Plainview, about 165 miles. The capital was $170,000, and the business office was in Stamford. Members of the first board of directors included E. P. Swenson of New York and Frank S. Hastings, L. M. Buie, R. V. Colbert, N. Leavitt, R. L. Penick, B. E. Sparks, A. W. Springer, and E. A. Swenson of Stamford. The company was chartered by landowners and stockmen in Stonewall, Kent, and Dickens counties, who offered the Colorado and Southern Railway at least $125,000 in cash and a free right-of-way to build a railroad from Stamford to Spur. After accepting the offer the C&S, on January 11, secured a contract that permitted the Fidelity Construction Company of Wichita Falls to build 165 miles to Plainview. However, that company sublet the contract to P. M. Johnson, who had built the Gulf Coast Lines. Largely through the influence of the Swenson family interests, Johnson and his associates completed the road to Spur, a total of 82.5 miles, by June 1910. The bonuses amounted to $223,265, believed to be the largest given in Texas for a road of this length. On February 1, 1910, the road was leased to another C&S subsidiary, the Wichita Valley Railway Company. The line was never extended to Plainview, which was later served by another C&S road. Its lease to the Wichita Valley Railway lasted until June 1952, when it was merged into the Fort Worth and Denver. In later years only one train a week operated between Stamford and Spur. Service was discontinued on April 23, 1967, and the line was abandoned the following year.