Stamps, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Stamps, on Farm Road 1649 ten miles northeast of Gilmer in eastern Upshur County, was established after 1900 and named for W. O. Stamps, who purchased a large tract of virgin timberland and established a local sawmill, gin, syrup mill, and canning factory. He also donated lumber for a school, a church, and a Woodmen of the World hall. In the mid-1930s the settlement consisted of a church, two stores, and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s all that remained of the Stamps was a few widely scattered houses. In 1990 Stamps was still a dispersed rural community. The population reached forty-five in 2000.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Stamps, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/stamps-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Loading