Stanley, TX

By: Claudia Hazlewood

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Stanley, six miles south of Clarksville in south central Red River County, was named for Fernifore Stanley, of Tennessee, who migrated to Texas in March 1842 and established a plantation called Stanley's Prairie. James M. Hubbard had a cotton gin and general store at the site in the late 1880s and became postmaster when an office was granted in 1900. In 1902 the office was replaced by rural delivery from Clarksville. The population was fifty in 1910, sixty in 1930, and eighty in 1940. No population estimates have been reported since 1964, when the population was reported as eighty.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Claudia Hazlewood, “Stanley, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/stanley-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Loading