Stansel, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


Stansel (Stansell) was a farming community four miles southwest of Dawson in southwestern Navarro County. It was established before 1900 and was named for an early settler. A post office operated there from 1901 to 1903. In the mid-1930s Stansel consisted of a school, a church, a store, and a number of houses. After World War II its school closed, and by the late 1940s only a store and a church remained; the estimated population in 1947 was thirty. By the mid-1960s Stansel was no longer shown on highway maps.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Stansel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 15, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/stansel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Place
Stansel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Navarro County
Associated Names

Stansell