Stephen Creek, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Stephen Creek is at the junction of State Highway 156 and Farm Road 224 on Lake Livingston, seventy-five miles north of Houston in northeastern San Jacinto County. The nearby creek was named after Miles G. Stephen, a Georgia native who moved to the area after having first lived in what would become Polk County. Other early settlers who moved to the area before 1842 included Jim Hopkins, Arnett Harrell, and Dan Sellers. Most residents were small farmers who grew cotton and corn and raised hogs. The Stephen Creek post office opened in 1915 and was closed in 1954. The community's population was estimated to be twenty through the early 1960s. Since the completion of Lake Livingston Stephen Creek has grown. Still more residents live in the Holiday Shore development, which offers recreational opportunities on the lake. In 1990 the population of Stephen Creek was 135.

Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940). San Jacinto County Historical Commission, Dim Trails and Blurred Footprints: A History of San Jacinto County (Dallas: Taylor, 1982).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Stephen Creek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/stephen-creek-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Stephens Creek
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380929
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Jacinto County
Associated Names

Stephen Creek

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.69241620°
  • Longitude: -95.18410540°
Population Counts
People Year
385 2014