Stephensboro, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Stephensboro, a nineteenth-century community, was nine miles north of the site of present Bagwell in northwestern Red River County. Founded in the mid-1860s by Obadiah Stephens, sawmill owner and postmaster, the town appears to have been a thriving community in the early 1870s. At one point it had the sawmill, a furniture factory, and a large tanyard. In 1876 the Texas and Pacific Railway line from Paris to Texarkana was completed several miles south of Stephensboro, and the town began to decline. The post office was closed in 1879, and by the 1930s the community had disappeared.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Stephensboro, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/stephensboro-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Stephensboro
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Red River County
Associated Names

-ugh