Sterley, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Sterley is on Farm Road 2286 seven miles northeast of Lockney in northwest Floyd County. It began around 1927–28, when the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway was built through the area, and was named for W. F. Sterley, the general agent for the railroad. Early businesses included a post office, established in December 1928, Harvey House restaurant, and a depot. A grocery store was established in 1934 by the Howell family. By 1948 the town had a population of ninety, a post office, a school, railroad shops, and two churches. The community was at the junction of two branches of the Fort Worth and Denver City in a predominantly agricultural region. In 1980 Sterley reported a population of seventy-five. A gin and large elevator were still in operation, although the post office had closed in February 1969. In 1990 the population was estimated at ten.

Floyd County Historical Museum, History of Floyd County, 1876–1979 (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Sterley, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sterley-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Sterley
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380605
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Floyd County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 34.21118220°
  • Longitude: -101.39766220°
Population Counts
People Year
31 2009