Stewart Chapel, TX


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Stewart Chapel, thirteen miles north of Canton in north central Van Zandt County, was originally settled on Stewart Branch. By 1890 the community had a school that reached an enrollment of ninety-eight in 1904 and was consolidated with the Wills Point Independent School District by the 1950s. Highway maps of 1936 showed a church, a school, and a cemetery at the townsite, but the population subsequently declined, and by 1987 only the Morince Cemetery and scattered dwellings remained.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Stewart Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/stewart-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Place
Stewart's Chapel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Van Zandt County
Associated Names

Stewart-

Morince

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.75095990°
  • Longitude: -95.88302130°