Stewart, TX (Cottle County)


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Stewart is near the eastern terminus of Farm Road 1038, seventeen miles southeast of Paducah and three miles west of the Foard county line in southeast Cottle County. The settlement was named in honor of J. P. Stewart, a local rancher. A post office was established on March 16, 1925, with George B. Stewart as postmaster and remained in service until discontinued and moved to Paducah on September 30, 1931. In 1940 the town had a population of forty and two stores. County maps in the 1980s indicated only a rural community with no business establishments.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Stewart, TX (Cottle County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/stewart-tx-cottle-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Stewart
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cottle County
Associated Names

Hackberry 2

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.93208700°
  • Longitude: -100.07796300°