Stewartsville, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Stewartsville was the site of the Peters colony store in southeastern Denton County shortly after the colony's establishment in the early 1840s. Here manufactured goods were brought in from England and sold to the French colonists at New Icaria. Stewartsville was located near colony headquarters and had a post office from March to September 1847, but as the colony experienced problems, the site failed to develop.

C. A. Bridges, History of Denton, Texas, from Its Beginning to 1960 (Waco: Texian Press, 1978). Mary Jo Cowling, Geography of Denton County (Dallas: Banks, Upshaw, 1936).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Stewartsville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/stewartsville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Stewartsville
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Denton County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.08408000°
  • Longitude: -96.95221600°