Stilson, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Stilson is on U.S. Highway 90 thirty-six miles northeast of Houston in southwestern Liberty County. The Stilson townsite was established as a shipping station on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad, platted by O. H. and Lydia Stilson and Rodney and Mary Hill in 1896 and officially filed in early 1899. The post office was established in 1898. Numerous irrigation ditches mark the surrounding area, and a rice plant was operated there around the turn of the century. The population was set at seventy-five in 1910 and at twenty-five in 1920. Although the post office was discontinued in 1925, several buildings remain clustered around the community center.

Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Stilson, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/stilson-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Stilson
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379115
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Liberty County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.01882820°
  • Longitude: -94.91881420°