Stone City, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: June 1, 1995


Stone City is on Farm Road 21, the Southern Pacific Railroad, and the Brazos River, some eleven miles southwest of Bryan in far western Brazos County. Moseley's Ferry operated in the area in the 1860s. The community was founded as the terminus of the Hearne and Brazos Valley Railway in 1892. That year a post office was granted, and by 1914 Stone City had telephone service and comprised thirty-two residents, a grocery, a general store, and a dry goods store. In 1919 its post office was closed and residents received their mail from nearby Steele's Store. In 1940 Stone City reported a population of fifty and two businesses, and in 1988 it had a number of scattered dwellings and the Mount Zion Church.

Glenna Fourman Brundidge, Brazos County History: Rich Past-Bright Future (Bryan, Texas: Family History Foundation, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Stone City, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/stone-city-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
June 1, 1995

Place
Stone City
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380612
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Brazos County
Associated Names

Bryan Junction

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.63019970°
  • Longitude: -96.54191270°