Stratton, TX


By: Nellie Murphree

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Stratton is on Farm Road 1447 nine miles northeast of Cuero in eastern DeWitt County. It was established as a post office in November 1887 and named for John Stratton, a Cuero saddler, who owned land in the area. William W. McKissack opened a store in 1890, to which the post office was moved from a private residence. The community prospered and for a while had a drugstore, a gin, a gristmill, and two blacksmiths; the estimated population in 1896 was twenty. The post office was discontinued in 1905, and the original store closed in 1943. The Stratton school operated from 1891 until 1951. Primitive Baptists organized a church in 1883 and, until the Pilgrim Rest Church was erected in 1912, held services in the school. In 1933 Stratton had two businesses. From 1933 through 2000 twenty-five people were reported.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Nellie Murphree, “Stratton, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/stratton-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Stratton
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380614
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Associated Names

Crain

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.15164130°
  • Longitude: -97.15026510°
Population Counts
People Year
25 2009