String Prairie, TX (Lee County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


String Prairie was a widely dispersed farming community located on a narrow strip of fertile red-soiled prairie land that extended from Lexington to East Yegua Creek in northeastern Lee County. It was one of the earliest communities in the county. At its peak, sometime before 1900, it had a general store, a cotton gin, a molasses mill, a blacksmith shop, a gristmill, a Woodman Hall, and two churches. It began to decline in the 1890s, when many residents moved to nearby Lexington, and by the mid-1930s it was no longer shown on county highway maps.

Lee County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Lee County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1974).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “String Prairie, TX (Lee County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/string-prairie-tx-lee-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Loading