Strip, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Strip was five miles east of the site of present Abernathy in south central Hale County, on a strip of public domain land 1½ miles wide and fifteen miles long located between railroad-controlled holdings. The community, founded in 1904, grew up around a rural school and a community church named Pearce Chapel, both established in 1902. A post office was granted on April 15, 1904, with Jerry M. Turner as first postmaster, and served the area until 1910. The school was discontinued in 1912. Pearce Chapel cemetery is located two miles north of the Lubbock county line.

Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971). Mary L. Cox, History of Hale County, Texas (Plainview, Texas, 1937).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Strip, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/strip-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Strip
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1369288
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hale County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.85535820°
  • Longitude: -101.77294810°