Stroud, Beden (ca. 1795–1865)

By: M. W. Comfort

Type: Biography

Published: 1952

Updated: October 1, 1995

Beden Stroud, Republic of Texas senator and Indian agent, was born between 1790 and 1800 in Morgan County, Georgia, the son of John and Sallie (Phillips) Stroud. He moved about 1818 to Chambers County, Alabama, where he and his brothers engaged in farming and stock raising. He and his older brother, Ethan A. Stroud, moved to Texas, probably in 1837, and located near the site of present Calvert. Shortly after his arrival in Texas, Stroud took an active part in the affairs of the republic, being elected to represent the districts of Robertson and Milam in the Senate of the republic from 1838 to 1841. With the return of Sam Houston to the presidency of Texas in 1841 and the adoption of a moderate policy toward the Indians, Stroud and his brother became Indian agents and maintained Strouds' Station on the upper Brazos. Their purpose was to foster commerce and keep in friendly touch with Indians. Stroud probably moved to Burr Oak Springs near Fort Parker and Springfield in what is now Limestone County in 1844. The census of 1850 showed him to have been owner of substantial property and livestock there. He was a master Mason. Stroud died in August 1865 and was buried near Burr Oak Springs.

J. W. Baker, History of Robertson County, Texas (Franklin, Texas: Robertson County Historical Survey Committee, 1970). Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone, and Leon Counties (Chicago: Lewis, 1893). Richard Denny Parker, Historical Recollections of Robertson County, Texas (Salado, Texas: Anson Jones, 1955). Alonzo Bibb Stroud, The Strouds: A Colonial Family of English Descent (Lakeland, Florida: Child Printery, 1919).
  • Peoples
  • Native American
  • Indian Agents
  • Politics and Government

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

M. W. Comfort, “Stroud, Beden,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 05, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

October 1, 1995