Sugar Hill, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Sugar Hill, also known as Broome, was a farming community off Farm Road 3231 fourteen miles west of Carthage in western Panola County. It was first settled in 1845. A post office opened there in 1850, and by 1885 the community had an estimated population of thirty-five, two churches, a cotton gin, and saw, grist, and shingle mills. A public school known as Broome opened there in 1883 and operated until the early 1930s. The community post office closed in 1904, and local mail was routed through Beckville. By the mid-1930s only a cemetery and a few scattered houses remained in the area. During the early 1990s the site was marked by a cemetery.

Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979). John Barnette Sanders, Index to the Cemeteries of Panola County (Center, Texas, 1964). John Barnette Sanders, The Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Sugar Hill, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sugar-hill-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Loading