Sun, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Sun is at the junction of State Highway 347 and Farm Road 366, on the Kansas City Southern Railroad five miles southeast of Beaumont in eastern Jefferson County. The site, located at Smith's Bluff, was purchased by the Sun Oil Company shortly after the discovery of massive amounts of crude oil at nearby Spindletop. A four-inch pipeline was built to the Spindletop fields, and four 55,000-barrel tanks, in addition to two earthen tanks designed to store over one million barrels of crude oil, were constructed at Sun. The Smith's Bluff site began shipping oil by sea in 1915, upon the improved channelization of the Neches River. The pipelines and storage tanks at the Sun terminal have continued to provide numerous jobs for Southeast Texans, particularly residents of Nederland, one mile to the south. A Sun City corporation vote on January 10, 1953, failed by a 142–98 count.

James Anthony Clark and Michel T. Halbouty, Spindletop (New York: Random House, 1952).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Sun, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sun-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Sun
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jefferson County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.98623500°
  • Longitude: -94.00152200°