Sunny Point, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995


Sunny Point, a farming community off Farm Road 275 fifteen miles southwest of Sulphur Springs in southwestern Hopkins County, was settled before 1900. A public school was operating there by the early 1900s, and in 1905 it had thirty students enrolled. During the mid-1930s Sunny Point consisted of the school, a church, a cemetery, and a number of scattered houses. After World War II most of its residents moved away. The school was consolidated with the Cumby school district, and by the early 1960s all that remained was the cemetery and a few houses. During the late 1980s it was a dispersed rural community.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Sunny Point, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/sunny-point-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Loading