Sunnyvale is on U.S. Highway 80 between Mesquite and Garland twelve miles east of Dallas in far eastern Dallas County. The site is on about forty-five original land grants, the largest four being those of J. Johnson, P. Green, M. A. Freeman, and T. D. Coats. Sunnyvale was incorporated on February 26, 1953. The town incorporated the communities of New Hope, Tripp, Hattersville, and Long Creek. New Hope and Tripp each had several stores, a church, and a school at the time. The area of old New Hope along Beltline Road became Main Street in Sunnyvale, and in 1965 the old New Hope school served as the Sunnyvale town hall. By 1982 the building served as the city library. Around the time of incorporation Sunnyvale was named by the students of the Tripp-Long Creek school in a contest initiated by area officials. The students originally chose Sunnyville, but that name was already claimed by another community. Sunnyvale had a population of 1,000 and an industrial-equipment factory in 1958. By 1982 the population began to grow, and by 1991 the community had five construction-related industries and one drilling-equipment manufacturer. The population in 1990 was 2,228. On October 4, 1994, a 105-year-old landmark store, Lander's Mercantile-E. E. Kearney, Dealers in Everything, burned. In 2000 the population was 2,693.