Sunview, TX

By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995

Sunview, also known as Murrey League, was on a country road seventeen miles west of Jefferson, near what is now the south shore of Lake O' the Pines in southwestern Marion County. The community school, Murrey League, was probably named for William Murray (or Murrey), who was granted the original land patent for the community site. The Murrey League school had forty-eight black pupils and one teacher in 1899. The Sunview post office was opened in 1901 and operated until 1906; the community was identified as Sunview on postal maps. In the 1930s the Murrey League school accommodated thirty-three black pupils and one teacher, the Sunview church was located a short distance away, and several scattered dwellings existed at the townsite. The school was consolidated with the Jackson schools by 1955. In 1983 the site was part of a much larger housing development called Tall Pines, though the name of the original community was preserved in the Sunview church.

Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Sunview, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Currently Exists
Place Type
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Associated Names

Murrey League

  • Latitude: 32.79708050°
  • Longitude: -94.65548300°