The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Support Texas History Now

Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.

Become a TSHA Member Today »


General Entry

The Supply was used from 1855 to 1857 to transport camels from Africa for use in transportation on the Great Plains. The vessel, a United States storeship, was fitted up in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, where the lower deck was walled in and divided into stalls. The camel deck, sixty by twelve by ten feet, had windows for ventilation and a hatch for loading. The animals were brought aboard by a car set on a flatboat. The Supply set sail from New York under the command of Maj. Henry C. Wayne of the army and Lt. David D. Porter of the navy on May 20, 1855. It left Tunis on February 15, 1856, with some sixty-five camels and Egyptian dromedaries and arrived at Indianola, Texas, on May 13, 1856. Because of rough water at Indianola, the Supply had to transport its cargo to the Fashion, a lighter, for unloading. Between July 1856 and January 30, 1857, the Supply made a trip from Indianola to Smyrna for an additional load of forty or fifty camels.

Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (8 vols., Washington: U.S. Navy, 1959–81). Leo Edwin Mahoney, The Camel Corps: An Attempted Solution of the Problem of Western Transportation (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1928).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Supply,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed April 21, 2021,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995