Svoboda, a weekly Czech-language newspaper, was established at La Grange, Fayette County, in 1885, by friends of Judge Augustin Haidušek. The purpose of the paper, the name of which means "liberty," was to give Haidušek a Czech-language journal friendly to his policy of supporting English-language instruction in public schools. Svoboda, edited by Haidušek until Jaroslav Chudoba of New York arrived to take over, had only 400 subscribers and was more than $2,000 in debt in 1887, when Haidušek took charge again. In three years the debt had been paid off and the paper had more than 2,000 subscribers. Haidušek became sole owner in 1890 and continued to manage the paper in the interests of the Democratic party until 1927, when publication ceased.
In 1941 a paper called Svoboda began publication at El Campo. It was a continuation of the La Grange paper and was published into the 1960s, when it was a supplement to the El Campo News.