Swiftex, TX

By: Paula Mitchell Marks

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Swiftex, whose name is a contraction of "Swift, Texas," is six miles north of Bastrop in central Bastrop County. It was first known as Swiftex Village when it was built in the early 1940s to accommodate military personnel stationed at Camp Swift, a nearby World War II military training facility. Two hundred homes were constructed, but when the camp closed after the war, Swiftex faded as well. The town remained on county maps in the mid-1980s, but apparently no population records have ever been kept.

Austin American-Statesman, March 16, 1947. Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Paula Mitchell Marks, “Swiftex, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 24, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/swiftex-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Loading