Synodical College

By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995

Synodical College, in Gainesville, served Cooke County students from 1890 to the spring of 1894. Kate Pryor oversaw the first classes, which were held in the fall of 1890 at the town's opera house. Soon thereafter, the thirty enrolled students moved to the college's new location, the former home of cattleman J. H. Belcher. The following year enrollment increased to fifty, fifteen of whom were boarding students from nearby communities. In 1893 the board of the Texas Synod of the Presbyterian Church voted in favor of acquiring the college. They appointed M. L. Fuerson president of the five-member board. Within a year, however, Thomas F. Hughes, a former superintendent of the Gainesville public school system, purchased the school building and moved his Select School for Young Women, which he had opened in 1888, to the site. Two or three years later this school also shut down.

Gainesville Daily Register, A. Morton Smith, The First 100 Years in Cooke County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1955).
  • Education
  • Defunct Elementary and Secondary Schools

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Synodical College,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995