Tacoma, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


Tacoma, a farming community at the junction of Farm roads 1186 and 1794, twelve miles northeast of Carthage in north central Panola County, was settled by J. H. Wooten and his son. They established a store and sawmill at the site in the 1890s and named the community for Tacoma, Washington. A post office operated there from 1901 to 1924. In the mid-1930s Tacoma included a store and a number of houses; in 1936 it reported a population of ten. After World War II its store closed, and by the early 1990s only a few scattered dwellings remained in the area.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Tacoma, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tacoma-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Place
Tacoma
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Panola County
Associated Names

Ajax