Tadmor, TX


By: Eliza H. Bishop

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 10, 2021


Tadmor (Tadmore) is on Farm Road 227 eighteen miles northeast of Crockett in northeastern Houston County. It was first settled in the 1830s and was named for the biblical Tadmor. A post office was established in 1885, and two schools, one Black and one White, began operating there before 1900. By the mid-1890s Tadmor had two general stores, a cotton gin, and a reported population of twenty-five. Its post office closed in 1914, but the community continued to prosper in the 1920s. By the mid-1930s Tadmor had a church, two schools, several stores, and a number of houses. The schools were later closed, but in the mid-1960s a store, two churches, and a number of houses remained in the area. In the early 1990s Tadmor was a dispersed rural community. It reported a population of sixty-seven in 2000.

Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979). Historical Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Eliza H. Bishop, “Tadmor, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tadmor-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 10, 2021

Place
Tadmor
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1382840
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Houston County
Associated Names

Tadmore

Alma

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.42906930°
  • Longitude: -95.17577260°
Population Counts
People Year
67 2009