Talmage, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995


Talmage, along Paradise Creek eighteen miles south of Vernon in west central Wilbarger County, developed in the 1880s around a community church and the nearby Wood Brothers store. A post office was established there in 1886 with James R. Rogers as postmaster and was discontinued and moved to Vernon in 1902. The town had Baptist and Presbyterian churches, a physician, a blacksmith, and a general store. In 1893 the Talmage school was established to serve a small district in the western part of the county. The school was renamed Antelope in 1908 and was combined with four other districts in 1929 to form the Five-In-One School. Talmage was not shown on the 1984 county highway map.

Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Talmage, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/talmage-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Place
Talmage
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Wilbarger County
Associated Names

Berlin