Talpa, TX


By: Beatrice Grady Gay

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Talpa, in western Coleman County, was supposedly named for a large catalpa tree. Originally the town developed because it was a Santa Fe Railroad switching point and served as a farm market. In 1940 the population was 254, and the town had sixteen businesses, but by 1980 the figures had declined to 122 residents, three businesses, and a post office. In 1990 and again in 2000 the population was 127.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Beatrice Grady Gay, “Talpa, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/talpa-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Talpa
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1348210
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coleman County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.77653690°
  • Longitude: -99.70952260°
Population Counts
People Year
127 2009