Anne Valliant Burnett Tandy, rancher, art collector, and philanthropist, the daughter and only child of Olive (Lake) and Thomas Lloyd Burnett, was born on October 15, 1900, in Fort Worth, Texas. In 1906 the Burnetts moved to the family ranch house near Iowa Park. Anne grew up a friend to local Comanches and the Triangle Ranch cowboys; from them she mastered the qualities of a top hand. She also spent several years in the East where she went to school. In 1918 her parents divorced. She then lived for a time with her mother and grandparents in Fort Worth. Prior to his death in 1922 her grandfather, Samuel Burk Burnett, willed the bulk of his estate to Anne in a trusteeship for her yet unborn daughter. After his widow, Mary Couts Burnett, successfully contested and broke the will, recovering $3 million in the process, Anne and her father developed an agreeable working relationship in the operation of his Triangle properties, which was organized as the Tom L. Burnett Cattle Company. As owner of the Four Sixes Ranch in King County, Miss Anne, as she was known among friends and employees alike, actively engaged in breeding quarter horses. She was especially noted for her champion horses, Grey Badger II and Hollywood Gold, from which many top racers and cutting horses were descended. Her inheritance of the Triangle operations after her father's death in December 1938 made her one of the wealthiest ranchers in Texas. In 1940 she helped organize the American Quarter Horse Association in Fort Worth. Anne Burnett was married four times. Her first marriage to Guy Waggoner ended in divorce. Her second marriage to James Goodwin Hall produced one daughter. That marriage ended in divorce, and she then married Robert Windfohr, who died in 1964. In 1969 she married Charles David Tandy, founder of the Tandy Corporation in Fort Worth, and was a corecipient with him of the 1975 Golden Deeds Award from the Exchange Club of Fort Worth. As a leader in the burgeoning livestock industry of North and West Texas, Anne Tandy served as a director of the First National Bank and of the Southwestern Exposition and Fat Stock Show (later the Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show) in Fort Worth. She was a trustee of the Amon Carter Museum, the Museum of Modern Art in New York, and the National Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City. In addition, she was the first woman to become a member of the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce and the West Texas Chamber of Commerce. For several years she was on the board of directors of the Ranching Heritage Association in Lubbock. A leading benefactor of the American Quarter Horse Association and the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, she served those organizations as an honorary vice president and in 1978 was a founder of the AQHA Hall of Fame. She also supported a number of other local civic and regional organizations. After her husband's death in 1978 she established the Anne Burnett Tandy and Charles D. Tandy Foundation (see TANDY FOUNDATION). She died at her home in Fort Worth on January 1, 1980, and was interred at Greenwood Memorial Cemetery. Ownership of the Burnett ranches and estate were passed on to her daughter, Anne Windfohr Marion.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
John M. Hendrix, "Tom Burnett," Cattleman, May 1939. Louise Kelly, Wichita County Beginnings (Burnet, Texas: Eakin Press, 1982). King County Historical Society, King County: Windmills and Barbed Wire (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1976). Dorothy Abbott McCoy, Texas Ranchmen (Austin: Eakin Press, 1987). Quarter Horse Journal, February 1980.
- Ranching and Cowboys
- Activism and Social Reform
- Civic Leaders
- Patrons, Collectors, and Philanthropists
- Ranchers and Cattlemen
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
H. Allen Anderson, “Tandy, Anne Valliant Burnett,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 25, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tandy-anne-valliant-burnett.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.