Tarrant, TX (Tarrant County)


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: August 1, 1995


Tarrant was seven miles northeast of Fort Worth in northeastern Tarrant County. In 1903 the Chicago and Rock Island line extended its tracks to the eastern edge of Tarrant County and built a series of railroad switching points along the way. One of these was Tarrant; it was named for the county. A post office and one or two businesses opened there in 1905. Euless, two miles to the north, became the shipping and retail point for area residents. Nevertheless, by 1915 Tarrant had seventy-five residents and a blacksmith shop, a cotton gin, a drug and general store, and a grocer. In the early 1920s the number of residents declined, and the post office closed in 1923. By the close of the 1930s Tarrant had become part of Euless.

Janet L. Schmelzer, Where the West Begins: Fort Worth and Tarrant County (Northridge, California: Windsor, 1985).
Places:
  • Communities
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Tarrant, TX (Tarrant County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tarrant-tx-tarrant-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
August 1, 1995

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Tarrant
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1348256
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Tarrant County
Associated Names

Candon

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.81679560°
  • Longitude: -97.07723160°