Taylorville, TX

By: Karen Yancy

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: August 1, 1995


Taylorville was 3½ miles south of Cherokee in southern San Saba County. The Taylorville school, which was sometimes called Peckerwood, probably because of the abundant woodpeckers in the area, was established in this rural community. There was also a store and a gin, which was sold to Henry H. Taylor. The community could have been named after either this Taylor or the town founder, Ely Taylor. No population statistics were available for Taylorville, and the town was not shown on the 1984 county highway map.

San Saba County History (San Saba, Texas: San Saba County Historical Commission, 1983).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Karen Yancy, “Taylorville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/taylorville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
August 1, 1995

Loading