Tebo, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: May 1, 1995


Tebo is on Farm Road 1 between Tebo and Tiger creeks eleven miles northwest of Hemphill in northwestern Sabine County. This small, dispersed community received a post office in 1886. In 1890 the community had a gin, a mill, and a population estimated at twenty. By 1896 a one-room, one-teacher school had been added and had twenty-two students. The post office was closed in 1918, and in 1946 the community comprised only a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses. By 1987 only the cemetery remained.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Tebo, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tebo-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

May 1, 1995

Place
Tebo
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1382847
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Sabine County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.44407110°
  • Longitude: -93.99463530°