Tecumseh, TX


By: Julius A. Amin

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


Tecumseh, in southwestern Callahan County, was named for the Tecumseh range of mountains. The early residents of the town were Tod, Cal, and Tom Windham, who constructed a camp house there in 1874. Following the three brothers to the town were their parents, Dr. J. D. and Mrs. Windham. The Windhams established a general store and also planted an orchard in Tecumseh. On February 26, 1886, a post office was established, and W. E. Gilliland became the first postmaster. Gilliland established a small newspaper, the Tecumseh Banner, which lasted until November 17, 1887. In 1890 the town had a population of twenty-nine. The post office closed in 1909. The main economic activity around Tecumseh in the 1980s was ranching.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Julius A. Amin, “Tecumseh, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tecumseh-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

Place
Tecumseh
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1348323
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Callahan County
Associated Names

Windham

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.18957820°
  • Longitude: -99.60674550°