Telegraph Mills, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: July 1, 1995


Telegraph Mills was a settlement on the Trinity River off what is now Farm Road 2076, twelve miles west of Crockett in western Houston County. The community, probably established in the early 1850s, was near Hall's Bluff and served as a stopping point for steamboats hauling cotton down the Trinity and goods up from Galveston to Crockett. A post office operated there from 1856 to 1859. After the Civil War the town declined, and by 1900 no trace of it remained.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Telegraph Mills, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/telegraph-mills-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995

Place
Telegraph Mills
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Houston County
Associated Names

Udston