Edward Arthur Temple, Episcopal bishop, was born in Walkerton, King and Queen County, Virginia, on September 5, 1867, the son of John and Matilda (Wright) Temple. After attending Virginia Polytechnic Institute and Virginia Theological Seminary, he was ordained deacon in the Episcopal Church in 1895 and advanced to the priesthood in 1896. He served as rector of Calvary Church, Front Royal, Virginia, from 1895 to 1903 and then became rector of St. Paul's Church, Waco, Texas. He married Mary Craik Davis of Waco on November 9, 1909, and they became the parents of two children. In 1910 sixty-seven counties in northwest Texas were separated from the Diocese of Dallas and the Diocese of West Texas and organized as the Missionary District of North Texas. Temple was chosen bishop of the district and was consecrated on December 15, 1910. He raised the money for his work from the people of North Texas, believing this would encourage continued participation. Eleven new church buildings were erected in the district between 1911 and 1924. In 1913 Temple was awarded D.D. degrees by both the University of the South and the Episcopal Theological Seminary of Virginia. He was handicapped by poor health and twice had to give up active work. He died in Amarillo on January 10, 1924, and was buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Waco.
Is history important to you?
We need your support because we are a non-profit organization that relies upon contributions from our community in order to record and preserve the history of our state. Every dollar helps.
Texas Churchman, Lent 1924. Waco Times-Herald, January 11, 1924. Who Was Who in America, 1943.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
“Temple, Edward Arthur,”
Handbook of Texas Online,
accessed June 27, 2022,
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.