Tenehaw (Tenaja, Tenaha, Teneha) District, part of Nacogdoches Municipality in 1833, became Tenehaw Municipality in 1835, with Nashville (now Shelbyville) as the seat of government. On January 11, 1836, the name of the municipality was changed to Shelby.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Mexican Texas
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “Tenehaw Municipality,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 28, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tenehaw-municipality.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.