Tennessee Valley, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: May 1, 1995


Tennessee Valley was on the Leon River five miles northwest of Belton in northwestern Bell County. The community was founded in 1851 by a party of settlers who originated in the Tennessee valley and named the new settlement for their former home. The Tennessee Valley school had some seventy-two pupils in 1896. There was a commercial pecan orchard at Tennessee Valley in the 1920s, and in 1948 the community had two churches and two businesses. In the mid-1950s the site of the community was inundated by Lake Belton.

Bertha Atkinson, The History of Bell County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1929). George Tyler, History of Bell County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Tennessee Valley, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/tennessee-valley-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
May 1, 1995

Place
Tennessee Valley
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bell County
Associated Names

Thomasville

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.13734300°
  • Longitude: -97.51141400°