The second Texas Academy of Science was organized on November 12, 1929. Its objectives were to stimulate research, promote collegiality, and lend assistance when requested by the state government. Among the approximately 100 original members were many who had belonged to the earlier academy, including Harry Y. Benedict, who became the academy's third president in 1931–32. Publication of the Transactions of the previous academy was resumed; skipping the number 13, the series was continued through volume 30, after which it was absorbed into the new Texas Journal of Science.
The present academy holds an annual spring meeting on one of the university or college campuses, with its affiliated local or regional societies. It is an umbrella organization consisting of sixteen sections covering all of the sciences and mathematics; a Junior Academy for high school students; a Collegiate Academy for college and university students; and a Senior Academy for teachers and academic and professional scientists and mathematicians. Approximately 200 papers are presented during the three-day meeting. A Distinguished Texas Scientist is selected to speak during the meeting. The Journal is distributed to members and institutional libraries throughout the world by subscription. In 1994 the academy had about 800 members. That number had increased to more than 900 by the early 2000s. William J. Quinn was president in 2009.