The Texas Alcalde, formerly the Alcalde, the official magazine of the Ex-Students' Association of the University of Texas, is a bimonthly publication sent to all dues-paying members of the association. The magazine was founded in April 1913, when John Avery Lomax served as the association's executive secretary. Lomax named the magazine alcalde because the word, the term for the most important official in the Spanish municipality, had been a nickname for Oran Milo Roberts, a member of the university law faculty. Alcalde had also been the name of a privately managed student publication that Lomax had helped initiate as a student in December 1895; it had been a forerunner of the student newspaper, the Texan (see DAILY TEXAN). In its early years the alumni magazine Alcalde averaged some 100 pages, measured seven by eleven inches, and included articles on the history and traditions of the university, copies of addresses by administrative officers and prominent alumni, biographical sketches of alumni, letters of reminiscence, and notes on individuals and events of interest to ex-students. In 1929 the number of pages in the magazine was greatly reduced and the page size changed to nine by twelve inches; in 1933 it was reduced to 8½ by 11 inches. After 1929 the publication became more of a newsmagazine and less historical and reminiscent in style. Then, between 1952 and 1968 the Alcalde evolved from a newsmagazine format to a publication with longer, more comprehensive articles concerning topical matters at the university and studies of general interest in higher education. The word The was dropped from the magazine title in 1961, and the word Texas was added in 1992. The Alcalde began using four-color covers in 1968, and averaged forty-eight pages in 1993. That year, the magazine, which included advertising, featured articles on the university campus, faculty, administration, and students, as well as on sports and on class reunions. It also included general-interest stories on research discoveries, self-reported news about alumni, and news of the Ex-Students' Association and its local chapters. Membership in the Ex-Students Association in 1993 was 53,600, and remained the only requirement for subscriptions to the magazine. By 1999, the magazine had grown to a standard eighty pages and circulation had grown with the Association's membership to nearly 70,000. Texas Alcalde won awards in 1998 and 1999 for editorial excellence from the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education. Editors of the publication have included Frederick Garland (Fritz) Lanham, Ben H. Dyer, David A. Frank, William B. Ruggles, Harry E. Moore, James L. McCamy, Catherine Wharton, Stuart Long, Ed Syers, Frances Mueller, Anna Janicek, and Helen Tackett. The executive editor from 1952 to 1956 was John A. McCurdy, and from 1956 to 1973 it was Jack R. Maguire. Managing editors from 1952 to 1968 included Raymond West, Melvin R. Mason, Charles A. Seitz, Jack Maguire, Paul Tracy, Don Knoles, Roberta Love, and Pat Maguire. Editors since 1968 have included Sarah Jane English, Gail B. Chavez, Ernestine Wheelock, and Avrel Seale.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Writers, Authors, Publications, and Literature
- Publications, Journals, and Magazines
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Pat Maguire and May Lea McCurdy, “Texas Alcalde,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 04, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/texas-alcalde.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.