Texas and North-Eastern Railway


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1996


The Texas and North-Eastern Railway Company was chartered on January 29, 1900. The line was projected to run from a point on the west side of the Sabine and East Texas Railway near Village Mills east to a point near the station of Levest on the Gulf, Beaumont and Kansas City Railway in Jasper County, a distance of about thirty miles. The initial capital was $75,000, and the business office was at Village Mills. Members of the first board of directors were E. A. Fletcher, N. N. Crary, B. D. Crary, M. K. Fletcher, and H. D. Keith from Beaumont; H. H. Wickline from Village Mills; and F. Gaetzman of Kirbyville. By June 1900 the company was operating five miles of track from Village Mills to Wick, and it had three locomotives and twenty-seven cars. By June 1901 the Railroad Commission had determined that the Texas and North-Eastern was merely a logging road for the Village Mills Company and dropped the railroad from its list of common carriers.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Texas and North-Eastern Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/texas-and-north-eastern-railway.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1996