The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Support Texas History Now


Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.

Become a TSHA Member Today »

Texas Female Institute

Herman L. Crow General Entry

Texas Female Institute, a Baptist school in Austin, was established by William W. Fontaine in 1875 in the basement of a Baptist church. A new building was erected in 1876 to meet the need of increased enrollment. The institution had preparatory, academic, collegiate, and art departments, and many of the students became teachers. The institute discontinued operation in 1881, when Fontaine accepted a position with Baylor Female College.

Willie Madora Long, Education in Austin Before the Public Schools (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1952). Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).

Categories:

  • Education
  • Defunct Elementary and Secondary Schools
  • Religion
  • Baptist
  • Women

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Herman L. Crow, “Texas Female Institute,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed March 06, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/texas-female-institute.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading