Texas Female Seminary


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 1, 1995


The Texas Female Seminary, organized in 1890 at Weatherford under the auspices of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, was directed by W. G. Templeton. After most of the Cumberland Presbyterian churches in Texas united with the Presbyterian Church U.S.A., the name was changed to Texas Fairmont Seminary at the request of the student body. When the Synod of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A., concentrated its support on Trinity University, the seminary ceased operation about 1920.

Visit the Texas Women Project's standalone website

The Handbook of Texas Women project has its own dedicated website and resources.

Visit Website
William Franklin Ledlow, History of Protestant Education in Texas (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1926).
Categories:
  • Education
  • Defunct Elementary and Secondary Schools
  • Religion
  • Presbyterian
  • Women

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Texas Female Seminary,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/texas-female-seminary.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 1, 1995

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects: