The Texas Forestry Association, headquartered in Lufkin, is a private, nonprofit, nongovernmental organization, financed by membership dues and governed by elected representatives from within its membership. It was organized in 1914 at Temple by a group of twenty businessmen. William Goodrich Jones, who is referred to as the father of forestry in Texas, served as the first president and chief promoter. Jack Dionne was the first secretary. The association's founders dedicated themselves to the proposition that state forests should be properly managed. They lobbied for a state forestry agency and persuaded the legislature in 1915 to authorize the State Department of Forestry (now the Texas Forest Service). The objectives of the association are to advance the cause of forestry, to develop public appreciation of the value of forests, and to encourage the expansion, protection, and proper management of all forest and related resources. Some of the association's many educational projects include cosponsoring annual youth forestry shortcourses, distributing millions of pine seedlings free to East Texas youths, sponsoring the tree farm program in Texas, and awarding scholarships to forestry students at Texas A&M and Stephen F. Austin State universities. It established a series of woodland walking trails and the privately financed Texas Reforestation Foundation to provide monetary assistance on a matching basis for such work as planting trees on nonindustrial timberland. It cosponsors the Texas Forestry Museum at Lufkin. The TFA also publishes a monthly newspaper, Texas Forestry, which superseded the Texas Forestry Association Bulletin, and began publishing the Texas Logger in 1992. In 1994 membership was 3,200.