Texas Geographic Magazine, the official publication of the Texas Geographic Society, was published from May 1937 until the fall of 1949. Initially the publication was issued as a quarterly published by Dealey and Lowe of Dallas. It was edited by Stuart McGregor, and Edwin J. Foscue was assistant editor. The magazine featured articles on geography and related subjects, including indigenous plant and animal life, topography, geology, and other natural resources in Texas. It carried occasional items on Texas industries and environmental concerns. It also listed members of the Texas Geographic Society, publicized popular lecture series of interest to the society, and carried obituaries of prominent society members. Artwork was generally relegated to black and white photography and engravings, maps, and diagrammatic geological cross-sections. Single copies sold for twenty-five cents, and no advertising appeared. An irregular publishing schedule soon developed; in 1938 for Volume Two the magazine changed from a proposed quarterly to a summer and December biannual. Volume Four, 1940, was published as a single issue with numbers one and two. By this time the magazine was being published by Southern Methodist University of Dallas University Press, which also began advertising other books published by the press and a few service institutions germane to geological businesses. The magazine ran between twenty and fifty pages. After McGregor and Foscue became joint editors, it published more articles from SMU scholars, and the issues doubled in price to fifty cents a copy. Contributing editors were Victor H. Schoffelmayer, Thomas C. Richardson, William T. Chambers, and Ellis W. Schuler. Schoffelmayer, who contributed some photography to the magazine, and Foscue each served as president of the society. The editors were usually members of the society. Both the magazine and the society failed from lack of financial support; the magazine succumbed in 1949 and the society one year later. Despite the scholarly nature of the magazine, only one index, an index to articles by author, appeared; it covered only the first five volumes. Contributors to Texas Geographic Magazine included Carlos E. Castañeda; Samuel Wood Geiser; W. E. Wrather, who served as a president of the society; C. E. Chamberlain, who wrote a series of thumbnail sketches on birds in Texas; and C. L. Lundell, editor of the Flora of Texas and director of the Texas State Research Foundation.
Is history important to you?
We need your support because we are a non-profit organization that relies upon contributions from our community in order to record and preserve the history of our state. Every dollar helps.
Writers, Authors, Publications, and Literature
Publications, Journals, and Magazines
Dallas/Fort Worth Region
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
W. W. Bennett,
“Texas Geographic Magazine,”
Handbook of Texas Online,
accessed July 02, 2022,
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Original Publication Date:
Most Recent Revision Date:
July 1, 1995
This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects: