The Texas Geographic Society was organized in Dallas on May 24, 1933, with an initial membership of 300. Purposing to interpret geography in popular terms, the society arranged for monthly lectures and in 1937 began publication of the Texas Geographic Magazine. Among the society's presidents were Robert T. Hill, Victor H. Schoffelmayer, James M. Martin, Edwin J. Foscue, W. E. Wrather, and Raymond W. Fry. The society disbanded in 1950 due to lack of financial support. The last issue of the Texas Geographic Magazine was published in 1948.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Dallas/Fort Worth Region
- North Texas
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Edwin J. Foscue, “Texas Geographic Society,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 21, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/texas-geographic-society.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.