Texas Legislative Council

By: Laurie E. Jasinski

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: July 1, 1995

The Texas Legislative Council was established by legislative act in 1949 and serves as the legislature's research agency. The council's responsibilities include investigating state agencies, conducting studies for the legislative branch of state government, recommending pieces of legislation to the legislature and assisting it with legislative drafts, and providing data processing to legislative members and committees. A major concern for the council is the ongoing revision of statutes, which includes developing classification and numbering systems. The agency researches inquiries by the government and general public regarding the legislature and Texas laws. A seventeen-member policy-making body oversees the organization. Members include the chairs of the Senate and House administration committees, four senators selected by the lieutenant governor, nine representatives appointed by the House speaker, and the lieutenant governor and the speaker who serve as chair and vice chair, respectively. The council's activities are managed by three standing committees: the executive, finance, and subject matter committees. The executive committee oversees all operations of the legislative council, and the finance committee supervises expenditures and approves budgets and salaries. The subject matter committee reviews and prioritizes various study projects and either recommends or functions as a study committee. In 1991 the Texas Legislative Council employed a staff of over 200 people. This included administrative, data processing, document production, research, and legal divisions. The agency's operating budget was over $12 million.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Laurie E. Jasinski, “Texas Legislative Council,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 15, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/texas-legislative-council.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 1, 1995