The Texas Midland Railroad Company was chartered on December 1, 1892, to run from Garrett to Greenville in Hunt County. The initial amount of capitalization was $500,000, and the business office was in Terrell in Kaufman County. Members of the first board of directors included Edward H. Green, M. B. Loyd, Edward H. R. Green, J. W. House, Joseph S. Luckwood, George J. Williams, and William J. Luinlaw, Jr. The Texas Midland had its origins in 1882, when the Houston and Texas Central Railroad began a northeastern extension to run from Garrett to Paris, to connect with the Frisco. Only fifty-one miles to Roberts were built before the company and its branches and subsidiaries were thrown into receivership in 1885. The northeastern extension was sold to Hetty Green and became the Texas Midland. Mrs. Green's son, E. H. R. Green became president. In 1895 nineteen miles of track was built extending the line from Roberts to Greenville, and in 1897 thirty-eight miles of track was built from Commerce to Paris. In 1895 the company owned six locomotives and 196 cars, and earnings were $28,090 in passenger revenue and $165,422 in freight. The Texas Midland was the first road in Texas to use electric lights on its engines and one of the first to use steel boxcars and high speed gas-electric rail cars. By 1926 it was listed as a Class II road by the Railroad Commission and owned sixteen locomotives and 233 cars; earnings were $67,869 in passenger revenue and $704,085 in freight. In 1928 Green sold the road to Southern Pacific. It was then leased to the Texas and New Orleans and in 1934 merged into that company. All of the former Texas Midland has been abandoned: Commerce to Greenville, 1933; Ennis to Kaufman, 1942; Kaufman to Greenville, 1958; and Commerce to Paris, 1975.