The Texas Military Institute at Galveston was founded by Caleb G. Forshey in 1854 and consolidated with Rutersville College and the Texas Monumental Committee of La Grange in August 1856 as the Texas Monumental and Military Institute. The institute was governed by a board of nine trustees and established to educate Texas youths in languages, science, and military tactics. Seven cadets attended in the opening session. Methodist Church members who disputed rights to the property were proven to have no legal claim, but the institute was forced to close when students left to join Confederate forces. Ashbel Smith, who gave one of the school's last commencement addresses, spoke eloquently for the Union.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Aviation and Aerospace
- Military Institutes and Flight Schools
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Diana J. Kleiner, “Texas Military Institute, Galveston,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 20, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/texas-military-institute-galveston.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.