The Texas Ranger and Brazos Guard, also known as the Lone Star and Texas Ranger and the Lone Star Ranger, was published weekly by Joseph Lancaster to promote navigation on the Brazos River. Lancaster, originally from England, moved to Texas in 1836 and served with the Texas Rangers, then spent six years in Mississippi. He founded the paper at Washington-on-the-Brazos in 1849 and published until 1852, when the newspaper office burned, at which time he considered moving to Austin. After acquiring the press of the Semi-Weekly Star, he resumed publication in 1853 as the Lone Star and Texas Ranger; in the late 1850s he moved the press between Washington-on-the-Brazos and Brenham. From 1857 to 1859 the paper appeared simultaneously in Brenham, Chappell Hill, Independence, and Navasota. Lancaster ceased publication around 1863; beginning in 1872 the paper was continued in Austin by the Lone Star Ranger.